The Principal Riverwalk
The Principal Riverwalk is located in the heart of downtown. It features lighted, landscaped public spaces, world-class public art and unique pedestrian bridges and pathways that connect 300 miles of Central Iowa trails.
Focal points of The Principal Riverwalk include:
- Iowa Women of Achievement Bridge
- Brenton Skating Plaza
- Long Look Garden
- Union Railroad Bridge
- Hansen Triangle
- Meredith Trail and connector to Gray’s Lake
- The Hub Spot
- Promenade & Multi-Use Trail
- Located in Long Look Garden - "Untitled," by artist Joel Shapiro
- Located in Hansen Triangle - "Quantum Leaf" by artist Sally Pettus
- Located at the Hub Spot - "Dangos" by artist Jun Kaneko
The project was a gift to the City of Des Moines in honor of the 125th anniversary of the Principal Financial Group.The Principal Riverwalk was completed in early 2013. As hoped, the project has helped strengthen the heart of our city, unite the east and west sides of downtown and provide opportunities for outdoor recreation. It has also spurred additional development in the surrounding area, adding to a more vibrant downtown.